Wednesday, July 20, 2011

W was gone! I freaked out. I went to check on them before I went to bed and W wasn't in his bed. I looked in his bathroom, our bathroom, my closet and everywhere else that he could possibly be. I tore downstairs in a frenzy to tell J that he was missing. In the back of my mind I knew he had to be there but still, I was wild-eyed and scared, really. We both went back up. I went to his room. I'm not quite sure where J went but W was there. Curled in a ball in his old rocking chair sleeping.


The boy is a sleep walker. It runs in the family. I vaguely remember Uncle RaRa doing this too.


J thinks I am crazy but 2 nights ago I heard something. I was awake but I wasn't. You know how that goes. and then I got up to go to the bathroom and the light was on. I am a bit OCD. I would NEVER leave the light on. I woke J up to ask him if he left the light on. He said no and went back to sleep with no lingering concern. Then I started thinking if it were a ghost. It's possible. Don't tell me it's not.


But last night it all came into focus. The boy is a sleep walker. It runs in the family. I vaguely remember Uncle RaRa doing this too.


So I have been researching it. I found this on http://www.emedicinehealth.com/


"Approximately 15% of chiildren between 4-12 years of age will experience sleepwalking. (I knew it!) Generally sleepwalking behaviors are resolved by late adolescence; however, approximately 10% of all sleepwalkers begin their behaviors as teens. A genetic tendency has been noted." (so he gets it from Uncle RaRa)


I've also read elsewhere that sleepwalkers can do anything from just sitting up in bed to having sex!!!! Great. Something else to worry about during the teen years.

No comments: