Thursday, December 17, 2009

Super Easy Beef Shortribs


NolaMom seems to be cookin' again! I am having the best time cooking new recipes. This is only my second one in a week but I forsee a future in cooking mania over here. Tonight I am doing a prototype of my Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve supper. The plan was to cook lamb shanks for Christmas Eve at the suggestion of Papa. I am not a huge fan of lamb shanks for some reason but I agreed to do it until I realized that it wasn't going to be super easy to find lamb shanks at the last minute. So I thought, why not perfect one dish and KEEP ON COOKIN'! So I am.

I am using Tyler Florence's Ultimate Short Rib recipe. As usual when I am cooking I am kind of skeptical until I taste the final product. The only reason I am a bit worried is that it was so freaking easy. It literally took me 20 minutes to do all the work and now here I sit blogging away while UH OH!

Sorry. I had the heat on too high. Like I was saying, here I sit while the ribs braise for the next 3 hours.

The rest of Tyler's menu included parsnip puree. Root vegetables are ok but I decided to substitute Giada's polenta instead. Hey, they're all family over there on the Food Network, right?

Now there are many beef short rib recipes around I am sure. My inspiration was a recipe I found in Bon Appetit, my new favorite magazine now that Gourmet is on the outs. But I didn't realize that it needed to chill over night and frankly I don't have the time to deal with a 2 day menu. If Tyler's Ultimate is just not the ultimate I may try the other one out for New Year's Eve.

No comments: