Monday, January 04, 2010

Mom's New Year's Resolutions

It's a new year and with that comes resolutions. But this year my resolutions aren't about dieting or drinking less or working out more. (although all of those things will certainly be in the back of my mind). This year I have two resolutions.

1. To get my new blog website up and running while posting consistently with more focus.

and the most important resolution is #2.

2. OPERATION 2010

What is OPERATION 2010, you ask? Well, as a mom, I feel there are many times that you have to break your child of bad habits. Like pooping in their pants but we finally have that down. The bad habit on which I will focus is the bad habit of my children only eating crap. Yes, that's right. I will stand for it no more.

If you are a fan you know what my children eat. Any type of cracker (goldfish, chip etc.). French fries, pizza, chicken nuggets, veggie nuggets or grilled cheese. They do eat a smattering of healthy items like most fruits, yogurt and cheese but for the most part on any given day they eat crap. Not only crap but frozen crap. Which is a huge pain in the arse when you are trying to cook supper. It's my fault. I admit it. But I resolve to change today. I resolve to no longer be a short order cook. I resolve to cook one meal for everyone. I resolve to never ever ever give in to whining and tantrums over food.

If you too are a short order cook and think you may be able to make this resolution work for you. Join me, my friend. I would love the company. Strength in numbers, you know.

I have received some advice from my pediatrician. He tells me to cook dinner and in addition to what I have cooked to include something they like. For example a piece of cheese. Then if they want something supplemental after supper is over it is okay to give it to them. It's not okay to cook anything else but you may give then a pb&J, an apple, a banana, something that is healthy and easy.

So here we go team. tonight we are having turkey burgers (just patties), rice pilaf, green beans sauteed in garlic and olive oil and french fries. I thought I would be gentle the first night and make french fries which is the food they like. I'll fill you in on my results tomorrow.

No comments: