Friday, July 10, 2009

I saw Pman fall face first into the pool. He was trying to scoop water into his buckets from the steps and he lost his balance. He struggled hard, with his little legs kicking and his arms flailing until our friend pulled him up. I was swimming with W and got there at the moment his head lifted out of the pool and grabbed him with a fierceness that I never knew. I will never forget that moment. Luckily his head was only under for less than 5 seconds. Not even enough time for the lifeguard to jump into the pool. He must have held his breath because he didn't come up coughing and was just terribly scared. Everyone went on with their day except for me. I just cannot shake this awful feeling. It could have been so much worse and it was my fault. It's the same feeling I had when W fell backwards in his bath when he was the same age. Except I saw W's face looking up at me from under the water in that split second. Ohhhh. I called the doctor to ask if I should bring him in. What if he took in water? and he was tired. . Although it was his naptime, I just wanted to check and she reassured me he was ok. You can never be vigilant enough by or in a pool. It takes a split second for a child to slip under and I just want to remind everyone of that. Even though I know and so do you. It was irresponsible of me to have them both on the steps thinking that this wouldn't happen and I am crying just thinking about it. Until they can both swim I will never relax again.

No comments: