Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Picking squash and edamame

Oh my gosh! This is more for my mom than anything. Well, and for J who has to endure countless meals with squash as an accompaniment any time we are in North Carolina visiting my parents. My mom came from a southern small town so she's truly a small town girl at heart. You know, they love fresh veggies, greens, black eyed peas, okra, squash etc. She has a special fondness for squash. J hates it. and we have it with every meal. and I mean every meal. I have inherited my mom's love of homecooked veggies. If I had to pick a favorite, it would not be squash but I do love a mean squash casserole - one like my mom makes - with ham and breadcrumbs and cheese. Oh my!

BUT

my inspiration came for this post from Chocolate and Zucchini and her post about Patty Squash. What is Patty squash, you ask? Unbeknownst to me, we picked Patty squash this summer in North Carolina. I have a photo, see?


By the time we left my dad was way over the squash and was ready to throw the rest away but I am thinking perhaps they will be ready for another squash dinner by now. and Chocolate and Zucchini has a most mouth watering recipe.

By the way, we also picked fresh edamame. and they were oh so sweet and delicious and so fun to pick. It was easy for little hands and supposedly they grow prolifically so you get a ton off of one plant. Which makes me wonder if I can grow them myself. I did a bit of research, well I skimmed one or two blogs on the subject and found that they are easy to plant in containers so I might give it a go. Here are the boys picking our evening hors d'oeuvres.


No comments: