Thursday, April 23, 2009

Jazz Fest is in the air

It's Jazz Fest time around here. People are gearing up for it. Getting there fold up chairs out of the garage, digging through their koozies for the "How ya gonna clap" one (you know, the one that has a strap that you can hang around your neck leaving your hands free.), starving themselves to make room for the crawfish streudel and bread and monica and anything else with crawfish in it, clipping out the schedule to make their master plan and calling Acura to beg them for the pass that they gave them the first year they bought their car but that they haven't got since (did this happen to you too?), building their party poles so that their friends will know how to find them in the mass chaos that is the fest. And this is to only name a few prep steps.

Well, It's all a lot of pressure. It keeps a true jazz fester busy that's for sure. But NOT FOR ME!!! and I am lovin' it. I think I have been asked at least 5 times today whether or not we were going to Jazz Fest. Nope. A simple,easy and stress free answer. and I am lovin' it. I used to be an all day every day Jazz Fest kind of person. Get there when the gates open and left when the last stage closed. I didn't care that my feet got grimy with a mix of dirt and sunscreen, that it was as hot as bejeezus, that I smelled bad and went to the bathroom in a port o let that smelled worse, not to mention that on several occasions entered after a couple who had just done it in the hot stank of it all. Ugh. I loved it, truly loved it. Sometimes I had backstage passes, sometimes I didn't but it just didn't matter. I loved it.

and now, you know what I love?
I love that I do not care in the least bit about Jazz Fest. I don't care who is playing. I find in my old age that I enjoy listening to music on a CD rather than in real life. unless it's in an atmosphere where I a. can sit b. can be in a non-smoking environment and c. that has good wine. Call me an old fart. Because I proudly call myself one.

But I do love this time of year. and I do love that fact that there are people who still revel in the pleasure of Jazz Fest. Who don't mind the crowds and keep the spirit of Jazz Fest alive. Because, although I am not sad that I am not even thinking of going to Jazz Fest, I would be sad if I couldn't feel The Festival in the air. So to all you Jazz Festers out there......clap for me, loud and strong!

2 comments:

LSU Melanie said...

Ha! I told my husband the same thing this morning..as i was watching the news and saw all of those muddy feet..I told him that doesnt look like fun AT ALL:) Ha! and so we will be at the golf tournament instead. Have a great weekend.

Elizabeth said...

hi, just found your blog. we're not going to jazz fest this year either but i haven't decided if i'm happy about that. even though it's a lot of fun, it's a lot of hassle too.