Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Chicken and Andouille Gumbo

"I didn't think you could swing it."

Those were Uncle RaRa's exact words in referring to my Chicken and Andouille Gumbo.

I DIDN'T THINK YOU COULD SWING IT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I sure showed him and he admitted it too.

I made it for Bacchus night/Super Bowl Sunday. I spent all afternoon Saturday, hungover from the morning p-rades, no less, making my roux and browning my chicken and I had a sore arm to show for it. My roux was dark. Really dark and my wooden spoon was burned. I was worried I burned the roux but nope, it was perfect. I used Veron andouille sausage. and I used a bit more than it called for. I also used the cast iron dutch oven that our family passes around. I think it makes a difference.

I am damn proud of my gumbo. and Uncle RaRa was too. Try it if you have a few hours to kill.
Here's the recipe

No comments: