Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Heart Disease in women

A few weeks ago I was talking about the chest pains I was having. I was freaked out because my grandfather died of heart disease at a young age so I went to a cardiologist. I had an EKG, echocardiogram, and a stress test and then had blood drawn. Turns out the pains were just heartburn or that's my diagnosis due to the fact that I started taking Zantac and it immediately helped. But I did all the tests anyway. Heart disease is the number one killer of American women, according to the American Heart Association and I want to be around for my boys.

Yay!Yay!
I passed the stress test with flying colors. I'm waiting on the results of the echocardiogram which is basically an ultrasound of your heart. It was wierd seeing my heart beating rather than W and Pman's. It was cool. and the thing I was worried about was my cholesterol. I don't know why because I'm a relatively good eater and eat a ton of nuts and fish and other things with omega3 fats. But my levels were all where they were supposed to be.

If you want to know more about heart disease check out the AHA website. It has good information.

I credit my good cholesterol levels to Dr. Ann and her suggested guidelines for heart health. I wish I could get paid for talking her up because I would be a rich woman by now.

No comments: