Thursday, October 30, 2008

Mama makes a mean Turkey Chili

I am freezing. I am always glad for the first spurt of cold weather but after that I am ready to get back to the good Ole New Orleans heat. Unfortunately, that won't happen for a few months. I needed something hot to warm me up. I already had the ground turkey and was way over my weekly budget for groceries so I needed to work with what I had. Oh, and I wanted it to be relatively low in fat and healthy. That's how I got to the Turkey Chili. Just by coincidence it was a recipe by Nancy Lopez adapted by the chef of Canyon Ranch Spa. I've only been there once. My mom took me when I was in a college. They were running a mother/daughter special. It was some of the best food I'd ever eaten and so was this chili.

So if you're looking for a really easy, no muss, no fuss and healthy recipe look no further.
It was absolutely delicious. and Pman liked it too. I guess, technically, I can call it NolaMom's No Fuss Chili because I had to change the recipe due to ingredient shortage. It calls for chili powder, Hello!, because it's chili but I didn't have any. I substituted cumin for the powder and it gave it a kind of Mexican twist.

Here's the recipe and if you want to make it NolaMom style:
1. Substitute cumin for the chili powder
2. Add a half of an jalapeno pepper
3. Top each serving with a tblsp. of part skim mozzarella cheese

No comments: