Monday, January 12, 2009

Potty training made simple?

I am sure you are getting sick hearing about our Potty training journey but it's been a hard journey. I have to tell you about our big breakthrough this weekend. I had the morning off while J took care of the boys. I went to the bathroom before I went for my run and "GASP!". There was pee pee in the little potty! J left it for me to see. He said that he woke up and told J he had to "run to the potty to pee pee". and sure enough he did. and he did it again and again and again. I think he had 7 stickers on his chart by the end of the day.

I would like to say that it was all because of me. I took Pman for a well check and the doctor told me to feign indifference. To get a chart and stickers, tell him if he pee pees on the potty he gets to put a sticker on the chart but that it's his choice. So I did and stopped talking about it. This was on Thursday. By Saturday he was master of the potty. I really think it was because he was with J all morning. When J got him up in the morning he told W to just "run to the potty" if he needed to pee pee and that's exactly what he did. All day long. It was one of the most exciting days of my life, save for the day that both my boys were born. and the sense of pride that we have going on around here is unbelievable.

So he's off to school today. I am not sure how it will pan out because he certainly likes his privacy. But I will keep my fingers crossed and pray for the best.

If you, too are in the throes of PT, my advice as an old hand at this potty training (HA!) is to give your child his options, lay off and let him do it in his own time.

I may be back tomorrow with a whole different viewpoint depending on how the day goes but until then I will sign off as

The ecstatic potty training NOLA MOM

No comments: