Monday, January 29, 2007

They're better than an onion

I never know why or when W is going to eat something that I want him to eat. Some days he demands only goldfish but others, very few, but others he shovels down tomatoes or olives or chicken nuggets. Today was an "other" day. He was toddling around the kitchen playing with a mesh bag of boiler onions. I looked down and he was trying to eat one. So I immediately pulled out the chicken patty I tried to give him for lunch and gave him a piece. No go. How about tomatoes?, I said as I kneeled down next to him. He smiled and poked at them, put the onion in the bowl and began furiously stuffing the little cut up pieces of tomatoes in. I mean shoveling, one after the other. I cracked up. I couldn't help it. I was like a kid in church and he fed off of it. He laughed and kept eating. But at the same time I was laughing hysterically I realized just how tense I was. If that's possible. It happens every time he starts eating something nutritious. It's always unexpected. I try not to look at him. My shoulders get stiff and I hold my mouth in a position so that it won't move. It's wierd. Can't explain it. Anyway, we sat on the kitchen floor with boiler onions everywhere, the onion peels scattered all over the house and a bowl of tomatoes, laughing hysterically while W ate enough tomatoes to make him hiccup. I tried to figure out what made him eat the tomatoes this time. I try to figure this out every time so I can remember for the next day. The only thing I can come up with is that they taste better than an onion.

No comments: