Friday, April 13, 2007

We had a very busy morning. We walked to the park and met some friends at the big boy playground. He is enjoying it much more as he learns to maneuver the steps up and down. The slide has become a huge source of fun, until he tumbled down the first part sideways. It has a dip in the middle so it stopped his fall halfway and we were able to right him for the second half. But after that each time he went down he whined all the way down the first part until he got to the second half. You never know how they're going to react.

It was a beautiful day. Breezy and sunny enough that I thought to put sunscreen on his face. My freind slathered it all over A and even on her head. I never even thought of doing that to my fair baby but I have noticed a few freckles on his scalp so maybe I should start since his mom is basically one big freckle. and me I was living on the edge, free and easy with no sunscreen. Mistake. When I woke up from a short nap (I'm pregnant, I have an excuse) I saw the new farmers tan. I mean, I'm not going to win any Coppertone contests but I didn't think on a cool spring day I needed to put it on.

Even after his slip down the slide, he now likes to go down by himself. He's more reticent than most kids. I am sure your 20 month old has been going down alone forever but W wanted to know all possibilites of danger before he did this. And you know? Good for him. So it was a bittersweet moment for me as he showed his independence.

I finally sat down on the bench to rest and he wandered around playing with random things. There was an older mom next to me with older kids, I don't know, like 8 to 10 years old. There were 3 of them and they were hovering around her. She yells, "Get off of me! Can you stop hanging on me. I just want 5 minutes to myself with no one all over me." I thought they grew out of that stage. I guess it never ends. On the way back from the park a friend called to invite us to lunch and I said, no way, it's naptime but we got home and he was wide awake and babbling so I took a chance and rushed to meet them. Anyway, I was telling them this story and she said she still hands her mom trash when they are somewhere together and M said that if they are at a party and she eats something she doesn't like she gives it to her mom. I do both of those things. Like I said, I guess the job of Mom never ends.

No comments: