Monday, August 14, 2006

I'm no certified nursing consultant, but...

I nursed both my girls for 13 1/2 months each, so I have some hard experience I can share. I've been through everything and anything that can happen during breastfeeding. Here's where my disclaimer comes in...breastfeeding DOES NOT prevent pregnancy, as I have gotten pregnant with both my 2nd and 3rd children while nursing the 1st and 2nd, respectively.

First I should say I believe that nusing, for some, just comes easier than it does for others, through no fault of the mother. It's not about wanting to or not wanting to do it. So don't be too hard on yourself if it just doesn't work out. For example, some babies can be allergic to something in your milk and there is nothing you can do, but make the best situation for your baby and yourself by talking to your pediatrician.

That being said, I AM a huge proponent of breastfeeding. I really enjoyed it, it was very natural for me, my husband was very supportive of it, and I truly enjoyed the benefits it gave me (along with the benefits for baby, of course). The endorphins that breastfeeding produced for me was sometimes better than sex. Okay, that sounds sick, but what I mean is that it was really relaxing...like I could feel a "wave of calm" come over me when my milk let down. As time went on, though, this feeling of calm waned as the milk production slowed down. But I "milked" it for everything it was worth! Now of course I'm going to milk my husband's offer for breast augmentation & a lift!!!

Breastfeeding was also so easy for me. I got to the point where I could do it one-handed, while I was fixing a bowl of cereal for my older baby, and talking on the phone, all at the same time. And I felt comfortable enough to do it anywhere. If you can nurse your child (discretely) in your husband's restaurant, and talk to the owner while doing it without him knowing...you've gotten pretty good. Of course I would never do it in front of someone who was going to be uncomfortable...I did spend a lot of time in many public restrooms or the back seat of my car nursing my girls. I even had to pull over on the Causeway bridge once.

So really all I'm trying to say is if you have any questions or concerns or need advice or hints about nursing, feel free to ask. I probably have experienced your situation or pain and can tell you what worked for me. And sometimes it's just easier to ask another mom instead of your pediatrician or a lactation consultant that can make you feel badly that it's not going so well.

Lastly, I'm not one of those freaking moms out there that talk about nursing to everyone they meet on the street, and when I say I nursed my girls until they were 13 1/2 months--those last several months were just a morning and nighttime events, not like when the walking child comes up the mother and says I want nummies. Weird!

Okay, now go celebrate National Breastfeeding Awareness Month! I need to go convince myself that my boobs have gotten bigger and not so droopy from breastfeeding : ))

No comments: