Friday, August 11, 2006

Nursing

A friend of a friend just had a baby and I heard she was having trouble breastfeeding. I only nursed for 5 months but I was proud I made it that far. It definitely got easier towards the end but the first few months were filled with anxiety, and Katrina didn't help. Anyway, I was miserable. I never knew how much he was getting, if he was getting enough, if he was hungry, if he was latched on correctly, why he was crying when he was eating---so many questions. I scoured the internet looking for answers and anyone to talk to about it. It was hard to find , which is one of the reasons I started this blog-as support for moms. Unfortunately, I am not nursing now so I am out of that phase and don't remember much but I welcome any and all questions or comments. I bet Crazy Sista has some good advice too. She actually was one of the few people who kept me from quitting after 10 days.

But to those who are at the beginning stages of nursing-I can tell you take it day by day. and I remember I desperately asked the pediatrician if I needed to keep nursing and he told me if you don't enjoy it don't feel guilty quitting. I couldn't imagine at the time that I would ever enjoy it but amazingly enough I got there. So hang in there and keep asking questions to anybody you can find. That will keep you going if you want to keep going.

No comments: