Friday, November 10, 2006

Get it straight, I'm not pushing Emeril's

Uncle RaRa,
Let's get this straight. I am not "pushing" Emeril's by any means. I very much dislike the person. When I was just a kid, 24, and into the food channel at its beginnings, I would watch Emeril every night in bed. I loved him, thought he was awesome, until that fateful night. I was at Clancy's with 2 friends and so was Emeril. It was empty and it was my birthday and I looooved Emeril. So at the urging of my friends I sent him a glass of Champagne. It was Veuve Cliquot or something. Not cheap, esp. for a 24 year old. He promptly sniffed the glass and snubbed his nose at it. No fyou, thank you, or anything. Not even a glance in our direction. I was done and have been ever since. I still go to his restaurant because I like the atmosphere but when I see people tripping over themselves to shake his hand or hear people talking as if he is this hero or culinary genius, I am none too impressed and never will be. I enjoy food, know a lot about food, worked in the industry but certainly none too impressed by his product so I am not pushing his restaurant except to say that it is kid friendly. And it makes me so happy to know that if he knew someone was promoting his place as that(kid friendly) he would probably become totally naseous. I'll say it again, that makes me happy.

No comments: