Thursday, November 02, 2006

I TOLD YOU SOOOOOOOOOO

After 4 nights with my parents saying,

"He sleeps too much"
"He's not tired, let him stay up"
"The later he goes to bed, the later he'll sleep"

my point was finally made. He slept until after 7 this morning and that's North Carolina time. The issue at hand yesterday was that his naps were too long and wasn't going to be tired. Bullcrap-the better he sleeps during the day, the better he sleeps at night. I read a post somewhere yesterday that Babywise (see sidebar for link still can't figure out how to incorporate into text) was a book that should never have been written. AAAAAHHHHHHHH! I should have commented and put a back link to my list of books, but didn't want to tick anyone off. But time after time, I have proven it to myself the only book that new moms should read. Now I get it, not every mom is as anal as me and doesn't want to follow a strict schedule or let their baby cry for too long. Fine, but some of their guiding principles I believe are true. But I understand, you are either a proBabywiser or antiBabywiser and for its critics just mentionning the name throws them into a frickin' tailspin. As my experienced Mom friend M (the schedule guru) says, "For the rest of my life you will be defending your schedule to everyone under the sun" So far she's right. But I believe. It's kind of like being a Saints fan. You'll have setbacks but if you believe, it can happen. Maybe it's not like being a Who Dat because for the Saints it ain't going to happen, but you get my point.

I let him stay up last night 15 minutes past his bedtime because Mimo and Papa were not going to let it go. "He's not tired. He's so happy. You're so mean, You're being ridiculous." Those 15 minutes killed me for several reasons:
  1. Early to bed, early to rise. Not true for a baby. If he stayed up past his bedtime he would wake up early and it was me getting up when the rooster crowed, not them.
  2. After he goes to bed is our time to hang out, relax and do whatever we want. Usually the cork on the wine is already popped and I am on my way to getting my 2nd glass but I don't truly enjoy it until the Little Buddy goes to bed. Don't get me wrong, I love my baby more than anything in this world. It's just that time after 7:30 is adult time. and I love that too.
  3. I knew even though he was toddling around like he was having the best time, and he was, that he was tired. You know how I knew it? It was his bedtime and when I finally put him down, he was out like a light. I like knowing when he is going to bed.

I hope I haven't offended anyone and I am not trying to say that I know everything because I don't. But I do know that save for the few setbacks, like daylights savings time or time changes or when he's sick or teething that the Little Buddy has it all figured out and I don't think it's because I know everything or that I'm a super mom. I just believe that his schedule is our saving grace. So look for my book, coming to stores near you. Don't Mess with Mom

No comments: